Hi! Thanks for visiting!
I am Agricultural, Food, and Rural Development Economist from Eritrea with great interest on the dynamic linkages of human welfare with ecosystems services in response to real global challenges, including deforestation, poverty, food insecurity, hunger and malnutrition , and climate change. My research experience encompass projects in the Global South, where I researched on the link between farm-level agricultural biodiversity and quality of diets in smallholder households. I typically use field survey and applied econometrics in my work. My research has been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, PLoS ONE, Food Policy, Agricultural Water Management, and Food Security.
My current research focuses on smallholder land-use change and human welfare in Southeast Asia with a particular focus in Sumatra, Indonesia. This work is under the EFForTS project – a Collaborative Research Center (CRC 990) funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). The CRC 990 investigates ecological and socioeconomic effects of major transformation of forests towards a cash crop-dominated landscape of rubber and oil palm plantation focusing on smallholder systems. This multidisciplinary research is mostly based on laboratory and field experiments, and individual and household surveys.
I earned a Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Economics from the University of Asmara in Eritrea and a Master’s degree in Socioeconomics of Bioagricultural Sciences from Nagoya University in Japan. I received a PhD degree in Agricultural Economics and Rural Development from the University of Goettingen in Germany. Previously, I was a graduate assistant and lectured several Agricultural Economics and Economics courses at Hamelmalo Agricultural College in Eritrea.
I have taught different undergraduate courses at Hamelmalo Agricultural Economics, e.g., “Introduction to Economics”, “Principles of Agricultural Economics”, “Principles of Farm Management”, “Agricultural Production Economics”, “Peasant Economics” as well as tutored several courses.
- Singh, Uttam (2019) Determinants of Bt Cotton Adoption in India.
- Laker, Morné Wilhelm (2019) Integrated soil fertility management practices and maize yield: National level evidence from smallholder farming systems in Kenya. University of Goettingen, MSc Thesis.
- Temitope, Odunsi Solomon (2019) Impact of Vegetable Production and Socioeconomic Factors on Dietary Diversity of Smallholder Households in Malawi . University of Goettingen, MSc Thesis.
- Schneiderheinze, Claas (2016) Smallholder Agricultural Commercialization and Nutrition: Economic Theory and Empirical Evidence from Uganda. University of Goettingen, MSc Thesis.
- Postdoctoral Researcher: @ DARE & EFForTS – CRC 990
- Affiliated @ GlobalFood
- Google Scholar: here
- Web of Science / Publons: here
- ResearchGate: here
- Linkedin: here
- Twitter: @KibromSibhatu
- YouTube: Kib Sib
Disclaimer: What I write on this personal website is solely my opinion, and not that of any of my employer.